Advocacy and Communication Officer
Job Title: Advocacy and Communication Officer (Female)
Number of Position: One
Duty Station: Kabul
Reports to: Project Manager
Duration: 1 Year (Extendable)
Salary: As per the Organizational salary scale
Background & Scope
Advocacy and Communication constitutes a core part of PRSO’s overall education intervention Program. Advocacy and Communication Officer will support the management and implementation of communication and advocacy strategies to raise awareness and facilitate the reintegration and schooling of Hindu and Sikh Children in Afghanistan. The incumbent is also expected to advocate for the Afghan Hindus and Sikhs’ children to have access to better and safer educational environment.
In addition, the incumbent is expected to look for donors and funding for this intervention for a longer period and to higher level, with the possibility of advocating the children’s enrolment at university level in the long term. Moreover, the incumbent is expected to develop good working relationship and networks with all forms of media, including social media to communicate and advocate the issues of the Afghan Hindus and Sikhs children.
Under the overall authority of the Executive Director of PRSO, and under the direct supervision of the Education Intervention Project Manager, the incumbent will provide leadership and support to the Education Intervention Project in the area of communication and advocacy to ensure that effective communication and advocacy strategies have been in put in place to support the mentioned project.
Main Duties & Responsibilities
Under the overall authority of the Executive Director of PRSO, and under the direct supervision of the Education Intervention Project Manager, Advocacy and Communication Officer who is granted this contract under shall perform the functions indicated in the Terms of Reference below:
- Developing, preparation and conduct of regular communications/advocacy needs assessments for Education Intervention project in the area of advocacy and communications to ensure current strategies remains relevant and effective or to develop new strategies.
- Advocate to or influence organizations and entities, either internally or externally on the importance and technical aspects of the education intervention project.
- Collaborate with project staff, OSA, Hindu and Sikh Representatives, Children’s parents, and relevant government departments, officials and other stakeholders to identify advocacy materials and properly communicate it via PRSO’s website and other outlets.
- Ensure that religious sensitivity, gender sensitization and awareness have been incorporated in education intervention project activities provided to target school going children.
- Outreach and advocacy with various donors for funding this intervention for a longer period and to a wider scope, with the possibility of advocating the children’s enrolment at university level in the long term.
- Improve media contacts and serve as public representative as needed to develop the advocacy agenda of the project by Identifying special cases (person’s stories) and engage media to develop news stories, short clips, and social media campaigns.
- Developing social media advocacy campaigns on platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, and other platforms used prominently in Afghanistan.
- Publish and circulate articles in news dailies to cover the issues of the Afghan Hindus and Sikhs children.
- Coordinate as PRSO focal point and PR with various media outlets, associations, ad-hoc working groups and other stakeholders
- Organise event, meetings and campaigns to ensure that advocacy plan of the project is active and moving in the right direction.
- Development/production of communication and advocacy materials for awareness-raising and communication for and about results, including briefing materials and press releases in coordination with project team and management
- Perform any other job related duties and responsibilities as assigned by the direct supervisor
- A Bachelor degree in Law/ Economics /Political or Social Science.
- 1-2 years of working experience in the field of advocacy and communication;
- Excellent advocacy and communication knowledge and experience.
- Excellent knowledge and skills of research and report writing.
- Experiences of Awareness raising, Fundraising, Conducting workshops and conferences.
- Ability to translate documents in English Dari and/or Pashto;
- Excellent computer skills of Ms, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and outlook.
- Ability to develop relations with government, donors and CSOs.
- Willing to work overtime if required
Please apply by sending a CV and a cover letter that outlines how your experience and education relates to the skills and experience outlined in the Terms of Reference to:
Please write ‘Advocacy and Communication Officer’ and your name in the subject line. The deadline for applications is 22-Decemeber-2019. However, interviews of suitable candidates may begin as applications are received. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.